Warre’s is one of Portugal’s most famous port houses. It makes a range of ports in various styles, including tawny, ruby and white expressions, as well as several single-vineyard vintage ports.
The house traces its origins back to 1670 when a company trading in wine, oil, fruit, fresh produce and wool was established in the region by two Englishmen, Burgoyne and Jackson. In 1729, William Warre arrived in Portugal and became a partner in the business, which by this point was known as Clark, Thorton and Warre. By the end of the 18th Century, Warre’s was one of the largest merchants of ports, contributing around 10 percent of total exports. The house stayed exclusively in the Warre family until 1905 when Andrew James Symington was admitted into the partnership of Warre and Co. Today Warre’s is run by the 13th generation of the Symington family, who also own the Dow’s and Graham’s port houses.